View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 03:36 AM
Renaissances Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
I'd suspect rotors as the first culprit...........and, yes........I realize they are new. With the general lack of quality control these days, it would not be all that surprising to find one with a runout of .003" on the face. That would cause all your problems.

Have an indicator that you can put up against them?
Oh man, I hate to say it, among all the auto tools I've bought and rarely use, my dial indicator with the flex/locking chain attached to vise grip somehow got away from me.

I've been debating buying another, found one locally for $200. I'm not sure how much the eye can see -- when I had the tires off, I spun the rotors and damn they looked straight. Not too scientific I know.

This shimmy feels like maybe the tie rod is not holding the wheel securely enough, like the wheel is whipping back and forth a small amount, but more violent than merely a light bump-bump from an out of round rotor.

I also put in new inner tie rod ends a year ago because of my parts guy's recommendation to cure a creaking sound in the steering. It worked.

I hope my rack is not bad, as they come with inner tie rod ends, I'm pretty sure.