View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 10:05 AM

Just to complicate things, the Jeep started out with a 16 inch wheel package, I bought these wheels off Craigslist with worn-out Michelins on them, drove them for a month or 2 before I put the Kumho's on there, so I really can't say if the wheels are the likely culprit, or the tires. I will say that the touring tires are not a good match on this vehicle: the sidewalls are too soft. I specifically went to 17s because the tall skinny Goodyear Wrangler ST's on the 16s were so mushy it wasn't even funny. I went from a 225.75r16 to a 235.65r17, so even with a relatively soft sidewall, the Kumho's are better than the Goodyears, but the firmer Michelins worked better.

I really had an issue with the Goodyears...I watched the tech try to inflate one of them on the wheel, and the sidewall was so soft and floppy that 2 techs had to hold it up to get enough air volume inside to make it inflate against the bead. If there is such a thing, they seemed flimsy. They were the factory fitment, but wore poorly and I got punctures in 3 of the 4 somehow. I replaced the factory GY's with one more set of identical tires before I gave up.