View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 11:33 AM

One of those, covered in matching black plastic or wrinkle finish woud probably look better than the chipped & distressed wood surrounding the shifter on my 'loaded' automatic 240D.
I'm a bit leery about longterm use of a wood cupholder.

A PO installed folding cupholders on the front doors of my stickshift 240D. They're covered in matching vinyl so they have a nice 'factory' look, but one of them is broken and removing them will leave a rectangular dimple and four ugly screw holes in each door panel. I did pick up some decent, un-holed & matching front-door panels on a recent trip to the Virginia Beach Pick-n-Pull.

Purists may wince, but for my Euro 300TD, I bought a set of four round black-plastic door-hanger cupholders at Wal-Mart for a couple bucks. They interfered with the manual windows on my car, so I cut the hanger off one of them flush with the rim, then drilled a hole for a #10 x 1" stainless pan-head philips screw in the bottom.
I fastened it in the front part of my center tray, still leaving plenty of room in the tray for odds n' ends. I decided the single screw-hole in the tray would be neater & more reliable than glue or velcro, and easier to clean-up & hide if I decided to remove the cupholder later. And the stainless screw won't leave rust stains. I'm planning the same cupholder installation for my 240Ds.

Happy Motoring, Mark

Last edited by Mark DiSilvestro; 08-11-2008 at 01:26 PM.