View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm thinkin, I'm thinkin.

Those with newer cars of any make, please read...

I'm assuming other makes may use a similar system so that's why I post this. This is something we've been getting a rash of lately.
First example:

2006 A6
"Client states drivers door will not lock or unlock with Smart-Key button on drivers exterior door handle. Works from others."

So one assumes it's a covered issue. Tech disassembles the door. If I was still subscribing to a web host, I'd share the pictures I took. The interior door panel had been off - had a small dent repaired at a local body shop. They broke nearly every door panel clip, they broke the wood trim mounting clips, they bent the rubber seal (metal frame in it), f'ed up the door handle and most importantly, did not reinstall the sound absorber/vapor barrier/pressure barrier . They used DUCT TAPE INSIDE THE DOOR... The "barrier" that was simply for sound and moisture protection in older cars is more than that today. It also makes the door air tight. Side impact sensors are in the door and they sense the change in pressure when the door is being crushed in an impact, deploying the side bags. With ripped, torn or missing barriers, the door will not be air tight so your side bags may NOT deploy in an impact without you knowing. This client had no clue until I emailed him the pics I took. For the $500-ish they charged him to fix a minor door dent, they caused $2600 worth of damage and potential injury had he been hit in the left side.

Second example:
07 A4
"Client states left rear door will not open from inside."
"Client states drivers window auto up/down intermittently inop"
"Client states window bottom chrome trim on right front & rear doors misaligned."

Press on right side trim pieces and they sit flush. Problem solved. Remove left rear interior door panel. Cable is disconnected from the latch. Insulation is torn in 3-4 places, half the clips to fasten the door panel are broken. First time client. He got sick of his original dealer (same as the first guy). I ran his history and found nothing related to any door repairs. Call the client. Claims no one but the original dealer touched the car. Told him he needed to authorize some $$$ if he wanted us to go any further.

Several hours go by and he calls back. Suddenly he remembers that he had hail damage and the original dealer recommended he go to "Joe's Paintless Dent" shop. They did similar damage to the drivers door insulation and one can only assume that the right side doors may have similar damage since the "chrome trim was misaligned." He took the car as is so who knows at this point f ANY of his side air bags will deploy....

Be wary of working, or WHO is working in and around your doors..