View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 01:37 PM

Changing Spark Plugs on an ML320

Hello:

I'm new to this forum so please pardon my seemingly basic questions. I've worked on cars for years professionally but, other than for maintenance on my own vehicles not very recently, and never on an MB engine.

My wife has a 1998 ML320 6 cyl. which is in need of new spark plugs which I'd like to replace for her. I've been told that on some models of MBs the plug wires screw on to the plugs. In attempting to check on whether or not that is true for this model I found that I could not easily (by hand) remove the plug wire from the plug. The wire has a metal cap where it attaches to the plug which appears to be able to accept some sort of tool. Being somewhat reluctant to attempt to "muscle them off" I thought it best to check with those that know more.

Can anyone tell me:

1. Are the wires on this model screwed on to the plugs, pushed, or something else?
2. Is a special tool needed or recommended to make the job easier?
3. In reading some of the other posts, for some models it was recommended for people that never did this before that some assistance (a mentor) might be required. Is this one of those models (maybe I should have asked this question first)?
4. Do I need to know anything else before I undertake this effort?

Thanks

Last edited by Woolybear; 08-14-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Correct formatting