View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
Quebec City, it turns out, and now I understand what Bot said about cajuns speaking a dialect that the more gentile French in Nahlins looked down their nose at when they encountered it. I mean, I liked the sound of it but it was way different than most French I'd heard. She told me that when they go to France, people will respond to them in English, thinking that they are Americans, trying to learn French (?!?)
The Quebecois accent, especialy when you start to move out of Montreal or Quebec City to where the real habitants live, can get downright gutteral at times. But for me, the hardest part is how quickly Quebecois speak when compared to other French speaking nations (Belgium is quite slow by comparison). Quebecois French is a derivation of the Normandy dialect, as most of the original settlers came from Normandy. The language evolved in its own direction after 1759 after political ties were cut with the mother country.

What you noticed about Quebecois women is also very common - they don't play the same gender stereotyped roles that you're accustomed to and can be very confident when approaching or relating to men. They'll open check you out the way that men all over the world look at women. Confidence is probably the sexiest trait of all.

2011 Mazda2
2000 E320 4Matic Wagon
1994 C280 (retired)