View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 12:23 AM

1978 300D...major problems, suggestions?

greetings,

i just purchased a 1978 mercedes 300D with a custom turbo. the car has 150K on the odometer and is in fantastic condition. it has undergone a svo/biodiesel conversion at lovecraft biofuels in los angeles where i currently reside. i took the car to a mechanic that the previous owner recommended to discuss the air conditioning being upgraded and have the engine decarbonized. long story short he said the motor needed to be rebuilt. as a result, i decided to take the car to another garage "german independant" in los angeles to to get the compression tested and try and disproved the prior mechanics diagnosis. the second garage said there is no compression in the #4 cylinder, the impeller on the custom turbo is shot and leaking oil into the engine, the head gasket is leaking and the manifold is full of holes adding to my woes. the total cost of repairing and replacing these parts is between 5000 and 6000 dollars. i really like the car but i spent half of that amount on the initial purchase. i am considering replacing the engine, but i do not know if this process would yield the results that i desire or if it would cost less. i really wanted a durable car that would last a long time and one that i would be proud to own.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
troy