View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggle Dog View Post
My 1979 W116 300SD had a cracked windshield.

I got a good deal on a new Chinese Fuyao Glass Industry windshield and a new Thai Mygrant Glass Company (DNK) seal; $30 for both from a glass shop that was liquidating its inventory.

I had a reputable glass shop install them, but they leaked really badly. I have had them back twice and each time they squirt more sealer into the seal, but it is still leaking and I'm sure they don't want to come back again (the installers said in their whole careers that this is the most difficult windshield any of them has ever done, and they kept accidentally stabbing each other with their picks).

I am starting to wonder if maybe the windshield and seal just don't fit the car well enough to seal properly. The new seal is torn up in several places from them trying to install it. Sadly, the next week I got a crack and about 10 rock chips (a new one almost every day). I am also wondering if the glass quality is poor because it is already pitted like someone sandblasted it. It chips really easily.

Maybe I need to save up some money and buy a proper Mercedes-Benz windshield and seal. Has anyone else experienced this problem with aftermarket glass?
Just had a windshield replaced in my 96 e300d, by a company called safelite that is a nationwide operation. I know that your model is different, but I was highly satisfied with the work they did. Cost was $235, and they stand behind their work as long as you own the car. To look at the car after the work was done, it looked like it was never touched, but there sat a brand new windshield. Inside and outside was spotless, and they even transfered the original mercedes sticker over to the new glass. Top notch company to say the least!!!