View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Banned

OK, I have collected an assortment of parts to replace on this OM603. And it looks like the Labor day weekend is the time it will happen.

Got a deal on a new vacuum pump from e-bay UK for $87 shipped w/gasket. It is the dam type gasket though. Can I just cut the dam out and use it?

Got the OM606 fan and clutch, belt. Should I just go ahead and replace the tensioner, water pump, and thermostat at 130k?

I will be sending the injectors to Mr. Watts for him to install new Monark nozzles and balance them.

The glow plugs seem to work fine, should I leave them alone, or replace them while the intake is off?

Got a 1991 300E gauge cluster that I am going to switch out for better light, and a used cruise control amp to replace while I'm in there. Is there anything else that needs attention while I'm in there?

Got a "F" vacuum fitting to tidy up the engine compartment. I will remove for testing the EGR as well. How do you guys recommend sealing up the ARV opening?

Thinking about replacing the fuel lines with viton lines. I found the set for $121. Is there a less expensive source?

I'll leave the ALDA alone for now. But I am debating weather or not to adjust it. I do like the idea of a more responsive throttle, but I don't want to have to think about my foot on the pedal all the time to avoid smoke. Any thoughts on this?

I will also attempt to identify my noisy lifter and replace it. I bought 2 (yeah I'm a tight wad). I have an auto stethoscope, and hopefully I can narrow it down to 1 or 2 lifters. Only 1 lifter is making noise. I read where there is a possibility that there could be a small particle of head gasket material in the oil passage causing this lifter noise. Is there a way to clean out this passage without getting too complicated?

Is there anything else I should look at fixing while I have the front and top of the engine exposed? I would like to never have to go in there again. Although I figure I will have IP issues to deal with down the road.