View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 10:20 AM

Help with OM603 timing marks

I have replaced the head on my 86 300SDL and getting ready to button it up. However, I am not convinced I have the correct timing on the cam and crank. First off, I can find nowhere a picture or description of where the timing mark should be for the crank. This engine has a circular hole in a plate on the right side of the engine above the alternator. Logic would suggest that when TDC on the crank pulley is centered in that circle, it should be TDC. With the head off, indeed the #1 piston is TDC. However, with the original timing chain in place, the cam did not line up exactly and is basically 1/3 tooth off…..early. Could be worn chain one thinks but after installing a new chain, the situation is the same. So the question is, whether I am missing exactly where TDC should be on that crank pulley…..or, since the engine ran fine except for a burned valve on 6 before, is it just not an issue.

The other curiosity I have is whether all the 86/87 OM603’s had that same timing hole arrangement. This car was purchased in Germany March of 86 so I know it is an early engine.

Would love some feedback from anyone. Thanks

86 300SDL - 207K
84 300DT - 298K - sold
78 450SL - 97K
61 Porsche - rare T-5 Karmann Hardtop - NO, NOT a Karmann Ghia
99 Suburban 4x4 - 247K all original, the family donkey