View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 11:20 PM

This happened to me as my alternator was dying last year. Only a faint little signal under certain conditions made it to the light at first. It never did glow nice and bright, but one day I pulled into the yard, having noticed that the headlights had been getting dimmer over the last 30 minutes of driving, and it wouldn't re-start itself. Replaced the alternator and the regulator (having tried a regulator and still reading low charging voltage), charged the battery, and haven't had trouble yet.

I've always wished these cars had volt AND ammeters just for the information. Ammeter would show whether the system was charging or discharging, and provide a way to monitor how much of a drain it was coping with. Voltmeter would be somewhat superfluous if the ammeter was present, but hey, more data is always good.

I know you can get volt meters that plug into the cigarette lighter and display what it's reading, that'd be better than nothing but I just haven't stopped to get one.

http://www.appstate.edu/~salleyms

"What could possibly go wrong?"

~Michael S.~ -
1986 M-B 300SDL, retired due to rust and electrical problems. Donated engine to:
1987 M-B 300SDL, odo dead. New project.
1982 M-B 240D, odo stopped at 308,000
1982 M-B 300SD, 175,000
1989 Dodge Ramcharger, 87,000 - 4wd, 318