View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
That's the fundamental problem with "local shops". You "hope" that they honestly know the tolerances on the M/B and you "hope" that they actually can measure them. It's quite a bit of an effort when compared to a Chevy.

Many of us have been very disappointed with the capability of local shops. In my specific case, I pulled the head from the shop after it sat six weeks and sent it to Metric. Others were not so fortunate and found that the valve guides were way oversized and the engine consumed significant quantities of oil.

Do not believe any posts on this thread referring to how easy it is to rebuild these heads...........unless that individual owns a machine shop and has done 50 of them successfully.

A further example of this advice is the gross misstatement about checking the head for cracks. The only confirmed way to ensure the head is not cracked is to have a proper rig to pressure check it. "Cleaning it thoroughly and inspecting it closely" is not going to cut it.
I don't need anymore grief and agree with you regarding Metric. I probably would not be able to sleep at night if I allowed someone else to do the work.
I am perhaps overly concerned though, that this no. 14 head is Not worth the investment after all I have read here and also what Marshall Booth had compiled regarding failures of these heads over time.
I priced a new head from the MB dealer (just the casting I think) in the sixth revision - a no.20 - the cost was about what I paid for the car.
Perhaps I should just buy the later casting.
Thanks for your reply.
1984 300SD -- Sold 289K
------------------------------