View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 08:13 PM
https://fintail.org

There was a gap on the upper corner on the passenger side that was so big I could actually see daylight through, and another gap up top in the middle. The glass shop worked some bedding compound in there and worked it in a little more.

Also, the seal is not laying over the molding like it should, so water is pooling up in the corners and leaking through. The water fills up in the seal, goes under the glass, up and out the other side and fills my rear floor boards.

It's been raining constantly here and shows no signs of stopping for another week or so, so all the water in the car is becoming a pain.

I might get some black RTV and try to run it inside the seal if it ever stops raining. But I think a new seal and glass are in order, and I think that this time I will do it all myself. I've found that no matter how hard something is to do, that it is always better to do it myself because I care about what I'm doing and not in a rush.

When the new windshield was installed there were still chunks of sealant and old seal on the body. I will clean almost every bit out. Then when I put the seal on the glass I will fill it with sealant on both sides of the glass lip to prevent any leakage. Then lots of sealant will go on the body when I put the assembly in. Then I will have to work the windshield and seal into place and get them to seat right.

I'm sure a combination of parts of the old seal not being removed from the body and a cheap winshield and seal made it difficult for the installers. I think I can do the same thing they did if I have a helper. The labor is just so expensive!

If I do have a new windshield and seal installed by a glass shop, I will remove every bit of old seal and sealant before they install them. Then I will make sure that they have the entire inside of the seal track filled with sealant and that the molding is positioned properly so that the edge of the seal does not give a place for water to pool up.

I only make $1,000 a month, so what I paid for the labor alone on the windshield install was took me 2 months to earn (I have $50 free spending money each paycheck if I'm lucky).

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles