View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DslBnz View Post
How slow is your commute? With me, I stop about 3 times to work over 15 miles. I accelerate pretty hard (shifting at ~ 4400 rpm minimum, sometimes stretching out to the full 6K), and coming out of corners, I hit it hard too.

I average 28 - 30 mpg, in the SDL. On the highway, it's about the same. I do have a straight pipe, though.

I averaged about 21 mpg in my old 1990 300SE. Again, highway mileage was equivalent.
My car doesn't have the Ferrari engine option so it only goes up to 4,800 or so. Not that I would want to regularly thrash a 20+ year old motor like that.

Lets see I take a left out of my street, since its a hill for the first few hundred feet I actualy just coast down it, than I make a left and accelerate to 30-40 on Pond Point since the engine is cold, no more than 2k. For about 1k feet or so. Take a left on New Haven Ave for about 200ft, again 2k. Than a quick right onto Old Gate for about a mile. All these are 40mph or less streets, never more than 2k. Than I take a quick left onto Woodmont, and jump on I95 south at Exit 40. Since the engine is warm usualy I bring it up to 2.5k, or 3k. But still everything is cold so no thrashing. I get up to 55-60, and cruise their for about 2-3 miles until exit 35. Than take a quick right and left. Opal street is the second or third right 1/5 of a mile down. Since Opal is so short and the job site is 200ft down on it, I usualy just take my foot off the throttle and let it coast down Opal.

Than I usualy add about 10-20 miles of around town running during the day, trying to keep it well below 3k. Every few days are so when its nice and warm I'll run to the stops in a few gears to blow the exhuast out.

I have been keeping track of my mileage since I bought my car in 2004; over the past now 5 years and just about 40k miles, its been between 21-23, with probably about a 22.5 average. On long trips I'll see 25-27, but those are meaningless one tank flukes.

My old broker who bought her SDL almost new drives like you, she uses the throttle as an on off switch, every single shift is over 4k. Her car when it was pretty much new only got about 20-21 seeing this type of around town service, still does, she gets about 400-425 out of a tank.

Your car must have a special engine, or the muffler sucks a lot of power.
2007 Tiara 3200