View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 10:59 PM

Best Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Guy View Post
Tell her insurance company you want the car fixed - it's a classic and not replaceable/repairable for what they want to give - tell them to shove the Blue Book and for them , go on eBay and find you another one just like what you have with the same incredibally low mileage. If they insist that it's totalled, then tell them you need to go to the doctor because you (and all your passengers) have terrible back and neck pains and how do they plan to pay for that? Should you have the doctor bill them directly? When they ask if you have medical insurance with your employer, tell them that's irrelevant, their insured is responsible for your medical bills, not your employer - it wasn't your employer, jabbering away on a cell phone, that ran into the back of your car so hard that they want to total it and injured you to a currently unkown extent.
When there's medical involved, they get friendly in a hurry.
I went through the same thing with Elvira about 5 or 6 years ago, a guy made an illegal left turn in front of me, I was moving about 25mph and t-boned him - it took an entire front end, radiator, fan, hoses, lines, etc to fix Elvira - they of course wanted to total her, but she's back on the road good as new.
Maybe insurance rules vary by state but it this were mine, it would be repaired by the other's insurance.
I'd fight for a complete repair based on low mileage and classic coupe body style. If they don't want to settle this way, insist on 3rd party arbitration.
1983 300D, bought new, 215k+ miles, donated to Purple Hearts veterans charity but I have parts for sale: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/mercedes-benz-cars-sale/296386-fs-1-owner-83-mb-300d-turbo-rebuild-parts.html