Thread: '82 300sd
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Dead on balls accurate...

Oil changes on the MB are actually easier thanon most cars as you remove the filter from the top and don't get that nice stream of hot oil runnig down your arm.

Change the oil hot and make sure that you use diesel rated oil (Shell Rotella 15W40 for dino oil is good or Rotella 5W40 for synthetic is good)

Check very carefully along the plastic body cladding as these cars tend to rust where the plastic meets the metal. Check the rear wheel openings. Check the area around the back glass as well.

Get a bunch of fuel and oil filters. I usually buy four oil filters (Bosch or Mahle) four primary fuel filters ( clear plastic inline dealies) and two secondary fuel filters (look like 'oil' filters and live near the front of the engine up on top of the power steering pump. The gizmo with the linkage directly in front of the secondary filter is the cruise control actuator.

If you buy the car, look up 'Diesel Purge' on this site and follow the instructions on how to do a purge. Then change the oil, transmission fluid, we have a drain plug on the torque converter so you can drain that too, brake and power steering fluids.

I change my oil, go about 2500 miles than change the filter then go an additional 2500 miles before changing the oil again, but I use synthetic. If you use dino, do the filter at 1500 and the change at 3000...

GOOD LUCK!

Current
Monika '74 450 SL
BrownHilda '79 280SL
FoxyCleopatra '99 Chevy Suburban
Scarlett 2014 Jeep Cherokee
Krystal 2004 Volvo S60
Gone
'74 Jeep CJ5
'97 Jeep ZJ Laredo
Rudolf ‘86 300SDL
Bruno '81 300SD