Thread: OM603 head
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel911 View Post
I wondered about the Pre-chamber Seal Rings and their different sizes when I read them in the Manual. You are supposed to measure the Pre-chamber protrusion and use the different sized seals to adjust that protrusion.
When you change the Pre-chamber Seal Rings while the head is still on the engine how do you guess what size of Pre-chamber Seal Rings to use? I am assuming that the old one gets crushed some to seal so measuring the old one may not help much.
You can measure the thickness from the top while the head is still on by a measurement of how much aluminum you remove (subtracting heights on a dial guage) using the precombustion chamber countersinking tool. The factory shop manual mentions nothing about the washers being crushed, and mentions changing them only when you remove aluminum when refinishing the sealing surface.

If your head hasn't been countersunk in this area, it probably has no rings under the prechambers, since they are not needed as "seal rings", they are mainly spacers to maintain the 7.6-8.1mm projection of the tips. So if you don't remove material from the head, don't change the rings.

Last edited by SunWizard; 09-02-2008 at 11:25 PM.