View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 03:27 PM

Yes, that's the big issue I always had with my 300SE. The tranny and dif gear is just unsuited to the car. It normally tries to take off in 2nd, but almost can't get itself going; if you push down a bit too much, it bangs down into 1st, which is a "super-stump-puller" and pops your neck.
Then, when you get into 4th, it's screaming along with no overdrive (the actual revs are 3000 at 60, 3500 at 70 - it has a 3.45 rear with 205/65/15 tires).

But, the guys are right, the engine is so smooth and quiet, you never know it's revving it's little guts out - until you see the gas mileage (19-20 on the road).
It's also tough on all the belt-driven accessories, they are also turning really fast.

All that being said, I've had it for 17 years, and it's still a fabulous old car, with no major engine issues. I should have tried to convert it to 1st-gear start, and put in a taller diff years ago, but now it's just too late, we relegated it to the town car - Saturday night special. Still knocks the valet guys out!

DG