View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 06:43 PM

Overwhelmed and confused

I have an 82 TDT w/ 240K in nice shape. This is the family cruiser which is now becoming my project car since I love it so much. I have another 85 motor which I plan on rebuilding (to what extent is to be determined, it is a good running motor as is) and doing some minor performance mods., I'll also be installing a 4spd manual trans ( I have everything already). But it will be a while untill I can afford this, in terms of money and time.

The motor in the car now runs well, but does have some blowby and oil leaks are a constant battle. My main motivation to go through the other motor is to completely reseal it, I'm sick of spending hours and hours on simple $3 Gasket/seal replacements. I drive the car 400 miles+ weekly, 80 MPH on the highway (installing that 2:88 diff was a nice improvement!) I am hoping that rebuilding the head, doing a t chain and resealing it all will be all that is necessary, but I'll go through the bottom end if it needs it. eventually I'll go through the motor that's in it now as well.

So here are my questions, I did spend plenty of time researching these, but the overwhelming detail/knowledge here has left me a bit confused:

-Is there a guide available to help me chose the most practical/efficient mods for my rebuild project? I'm looking to boost performance, but ultimately just want a strong and efficient daily driver. I read about the IP rack mods, delivery valve mods, etc.

-With the current engine, which I'll be running another year or so, I'd like to get some new injectors (which i will transfer into the other motor later)
I have rebuilt VW injector's before, when I had access to a pop tester, but now I do not have one. Should I buy some complete injectors? is there a place that builds them with the best nozzles for my needs? What nozzles should I get if I end up bringing the shop some old injectors to rebuild? Bosio's, Monarchs?

I am open to any and all suggestions.

The car will be getting a 3" exhaust this winter, maybe a S.S. muffler at the rear I don't know yet.
I will also be installing a water-air intercooler and the car already has a custom intake/air filter asm.
I'm doing a complete front end build this winter for which i have all parts, except the Votglands which I still need.
I have some 2000 CLK wheels which I have not installed yet, hope they fit OK, I have seen them on another 123 before which is encouraging. They sure look sweet.

Thanks

Last edited by Markp; 09-12-2008 at 07:25 PM.