View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 03:23 AM
CQ DE W2ICA

rough idle can be caused by a host of problems, ranging from a bad injector, to improper valve clearance to low compression in one or more cylinders. My wagon has done that wobble for years, it's a joke amongst my friends and I. Start with the basics, and check your valve adjustment. The clearances vanish over time. Amazing things happen when the adjustment is corrected.

Odo's.. common as the wind for problems. I have NEVER bought a Benz with a working ODO.. my latest.. a 190E.. needed surgery to fix it too. If your fairly handy.. you can remove the cluster, remove the speedo, and if you study it. .you will find a pot metal or brass gear that needs to be tightened back up on the shaft. I've actually slid the shaft out, and "nicked" the shaft to give it some friction.

Cruise on these... usually winds up being cracked connections in the cruise amp located up under the dash between the emergency brake and regular brake pedal. If your handy with a soldering iron.. have at it! I've found that if you take a tooth brush and acetone to the solder side of the board first and clean the coating off.. soldering is much easier. go one at a time, and take your time.

Door locks.. everyone who owns a Benz should have a mighty vac!!! It is as handy on these as a 10 mm wrench! The vacum system is not hard, and right under the floor mat on the psgr side will be a "t" connection that will allow you to isolate at least the front psgr side door and the rest of the system.. and then just in the area of the rear seat.. u guessed it.. another connector for the rear hatch, fuel door, and psgr doors. Make sure that it isnt as easy as the lines popped apart at any of those junctions. Use your mighty vac to check the diaghphrams in each door.

Hope it helps. Have a ball.. these are REALLY fun cars to work on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick
W2ICA