View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 11:16 AM
1982 240D

Clogged tank screen

Okay, I had some fuel delivery problems, as seen here:

Fuel delivery issue-please help!

Anyway, I went today to pull the screen. After I'd put the rear end up on jack stands, I pulled the fuel line. Fuel was coming out in a very slow drip. I attempted to unscrew the tank screen, but couldn't get a wrench on it...I was hoping to get it out w/o pulling out the tank, but no go.

So, I opened the tank cap, and put a blowgun into the fuel line. I blew in 100 psi...There seemed to be a very slight hesitation before I heard bubbling in the tank. I gave it another good long blast, and removed the blowgun. What had been a drip was now a gush. Woohoo!

I hooked the fuel line back up, reprimed the system, and she started up! Again...woohoo!

So, here's my question: Instead of pulling the tank, could I blow out the screen, say on a weekly basis, to keep the tank gunk suspended in the fuel and off the screen? If I were to do this, would the gunk ultimately be broken up small enough to pass through the screen and make it's way to the fuel filters, where it can be easily monitored and changed?

Thanks in advance for the help!