Thread: Project L.E.D!
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 06:57 AM
Crazy mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
It will work great for the instrument panel, in fact I use LEDs too. They were already plug-n-play for the light socket with the resistor built in.
However, it will not work for the center console, dome lights or tail lights.

The key is the viewing Angle: 40±5degree. In other words it lights up only in front of it. The spider takes light from around the side of the bulb, the dome lights would become spotlights and the tail lights would need well over 30 to produce enough light to be seen by other drivers (Even those would just be dots since the reflectors are not made for LEDs and will not spread out their light).
Im going the cheap DIY route lol 5$ for a premade one was out of the question for me. I realized this and then i stumbled upon some 140 degree 100kMCD multichip led's. Those would work well, and if the light still wasnt dispersed enough, i could frost them somehow Maybie sandbast them lightly to etch them?

As long as they would add one additional commandment for you to keep thy religion to thyself.
George Carlin (Wonder where he is now..)

1981 240d (engine donor 1983 240d) recently rebuilt engine hurray! - No more.. fought a tree and the tree won.

pearl black 1983 240d 4speed (Converted!@$$%) atleast the tranny was rebuilt.

Last edited by Cervan; 09-14-2008 at 07:02 AM.