View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbonds View Post
OK, I bought the bigger belt (got a 1040 and a 1050mm belt). Started the removal of the other belts in the way. Power steering pump yielded as expected and belt removed. A/C unit will not move enough to get the belt off.

All three 19mm bolts are loose, nearly finger loose, and 1/8" slack between bolt head and seating surface. The adjustment screw is quite loose, with the nut sticking up 1" or so. I presume this compressor rotates on the upper pivot bolt clockwise looking aft (since lengthening the adjustment is suggested for loosening...). But it doesn't want to do this, or move toward the engine either. I've tried prybars and the like to no avail.

Four hours invested in that A/C belt so far. Obviously, I'm missing something.

Help?

johnbonds
'82 240D 4sp
When I did mine (300D), I slightly loosened the 3 19mm ac compressor bolts and also removed the small bolt that holds down the 2 oil cooler lines onto the top part of the compressor. If you have this, this keeps the compressor from moving much. see pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Alternator replacement.  1982 240D-300d-ac-comp-bolt.jpg  
96 C220
97 Explorer - Found Another Home
2000 Honda Accord V6 - Found Another Home
85 300D - Found Another Home
84 300D - Found Another Home
80 300TD - Found Another Home
Previous cars:
96 Caravan
87 Camry
84 Cressida