View Single Post
Old 04-04-2002, 10:46 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Well, let me just say!

Hey Dave, Thanks again. Well its been raining here for 6 out of the last seven days so I only fooled around a little bit. I'm happy with what I have seen! I have done a couple of test spots on the various trim on my SDL. On the chrome it is an excellent product for sure, really cleans the star up nice. On aluminum trim around the doors and windows I have only used it by hand on a rag but that worked pretty darn good too, it appeared to easily remove the surface oxidation on the aluminum, I haven't yet tried it with a dremel tool but I anticipate results similar to what you posted as I'm sure the tool with add the dimension of mild abrasiveness/buffing that will remove the microscopic pitting of the aluminum itself and the full treatment ought to result in a mirror finish. Now you've got to find something to prevent corrosion/pitting!!! Do you put something on the aluminum after the buffing? Polish? Wax? Sealer?

The first test for me took place while it was raining when I had to suffer the humiliation of my wife and family who came home early and caught me out in the rain with an umbrella the day after I got it. After smelling it, and feeling it, I couldn't find anything in the house or garage to try it on, so I grabbed an umbrella and a couple of towels and went outside to my car. I looked around and decided the rear bumper was the test subject, so in the rain under my umbrella, I quickly wiped the bumper almost dry and put a half-dollar size squirt of Green Magic on an old terry sock and started rubbing a 3" dia. circle on the top surface of the bumper.I could feel through the cloth that something was going on. Well I'm not anal but I try to keep up on the exterior of this car and one area that demands regular attention is this rear area because of the sooty diesel exhaust. Most of it comes clean pretty easy but the chrome bumper has been a problem. I have never been able to get it shiny and it seemed like it was corroded or pitted as you could feel the rough surface texture especially on the drivers side. Well my rain soaked experience was pure joy! Apparently the bumper was covered by some type of carbon deposits on the chrome rather than in it. Within half a minute the surface I was polishing with the "Magic" was getting smoother to the touch and when I lifted the rag there was the bright shiny smooth clean bumper, and the rag was black with all that had been removed! Well needless to say I immediately went back into the house and got enough towels to dry the rest of the bumper and proceeded to do the whole job. About 5 minutes later the family arrives to find my squatting in the rain working near the center of the bumper by then. So after everyone got their digs in and had a great laugh at me "petting my car in the rain" I was forced to admit that I didn't give a damn and I was in for the duration so I went back to work on the remaining passenger side of the bumper. About 10 minutes and I was done and back inside soaking wet and I haven't hear the last of it yet! The bumper that I had been anticipating eventually replacing if I ever ran across a better one, is looking mighty fine and even better now that the sun has come out! So overall a great product and with some practice and experimentation looks in the future to be even better! Thanks for the tip and my family thanks you for the entertainment value!