View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 12:15 AM

300SDL in the shop...need some insight...

Alright, here is the scoop...

I have an 87 300SDL and I love her. She has been a great car at 160k miles and the #14 head.

Over the past year it has developed blue smoke and a rough idle. In my quest to trouble shoot it I bought some bosio nozzles and installed them. Upon starting the car the idle was worse and it was dumping an unholy amount of blue smoke out the back. it was bad, and I felt like ****, I thought I had killed my baby...

I rebuilt the injectors again, retorquing them just to make sure I didn't screw them up (a few were leaking, so I cleaned the hell out of em).

Reassembled, got everything back together and it was still bad, althought not as bad as before.

I finally came to terms with the fact that I probably had bitten off more than I should have been chewing at the time, messing with my daily driver, so I took her to the mechanic of a trusted friend and merc owner.

He replaced my injectors with rebuild bosch units (boo, awful Indian made garbage) and told me that it idled better, but it still wasn't right. He says that the car drives great on the highway, it just is idling terribly (misfire on one or two cylinders).

He checked the compression on all the cylinders and all were around, iirc, 325 or more PSI...The car isn't consuming coolant at all or smoking white. It is, however, with an increasing apetite, consuming oil.

He thinks that it needs a valve job, and agrees with me that the head probably isn't cracked.

I am really leaning towards the side of blown head gasket up front...either way, if it is the head or the head gasket, the cylinder head needs to come off...

What do you guys think? Did the bosio nozzles give the car the right spray pattern for just long enough to fully destroy the head gasket up front? Do I need to rebuild the head? Is it cracked? Do I just need to cut my losses and get a 300D? Does this guy not know what he is talking about (he keeps referring to it as electronic injection...thinking of the OM606 perhaps?)?