View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 07:43 PM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry123400 View Post
I was also wondering a little about this as well. It does seem a little illogical to have to move the car to make the tumbler work. Although anything is possible. The effect of gravity on parts as light as those in the tumbler mechanisim would only give a minimal possible change with the car in another relative fairly simular position. You are not putting the car on to its side or roof for example.

Now if the old tumbler has been generally shakey over time it should be changed just on the basis of avoiding a lock up condition. Keep an open mind or try activation of the mechanisim with the tumbler removed. At least it is easier to deal with this area if it is not totally locked up. Who really knows with these somewhat unorthodox issues?

It might still just be the tumbler. I know there is one tumbler of mine that I have delayed changing out. If it should lock up I have only myself to blame. Causitive agents to mechanisim damage can include someone trying to force the assembley at some time or a crude attempt to steal the car. After twenty some years wear cannot be ignored either I suppose.

Your ace in the hole may be that you can borrow another tumbler out of one of your other cars to check it with before buying a new one. That is one advantage of having more than one simular car .
Yeah, I might steal one from my race car. Its low mileage....145K!
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.