View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 08:27 PM
diesel enthusiast

some other thread

I posted ....this summer....like in early July; one day, it took me like 15 minutes to UNLOCK my driver door with the key. I didn't lock it again. The passenger door lock never has worked on Coda.

I drove immediately to the Hardware Store where they have a locksmith --- I advised him AGAINST using graphite; he had a some type of "dry" spray that he used; looked at the key; and said, "I think if you get a new key, you will be okay".

Since Coda is about 23 years old and all the locks are keyed the same, I visited the dealer the next day. I only had the original master key with the red dot.....so I wanted a new master key AND a valet key. The new master was $16.50 and a new valet key would have been $20. Instead, I ordered a new ignition switch which comes with a master.

About 3 days later, I called the dealer and the order had arrived that morning from Dallas. Imagine that, the keys are cut in Dallas. I took the new key out and it locked and unlocked the driver door very easily. I then walked over to the passenger side and the new master key easily locked and unlocked the passenger lock.

I still haven't replaced my ignition switch.

Links:
Sold last car --- 05/2012 1984 300D Light Ivory, Red interior
Cluster Needles Paint
New Old Stock (NOS) parts

Past:
3/2008 1986 300SDL "Coda"
04/2010 1965 190D(c) "Ben"
& many more