View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 09:44 PM
https://fintail.org

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I went to the Mercedes-Benz dealer and ordered the $140 windshield seal. Then I had Safelite install a new PPG windshield for $240 (57% off sale). Of course, the PPG glass had a "Made in China" sticker on it.

After 2 hours my car was ready, but a couple days later it rained and the windshield was leaking worse than the previous one! Though it was not installed as poorly as the other glass shop did, it still looks like the windshield and gasket are not set in all the way. It looks like the windshield is floating on the body, and the upper corners are open so you can look inside.

Of course, the seal got all torn up from installation--and it's dry rotted and weather checked already. In the center of the roof the seal falls in because of the gap between the seal and the body. And I can pull the lower corners of the seal away because apparently there isn't any sealant in there.

I'm starting to freakin' hate this car. I live in Washington state and with it raining constantly the interior of the car keeps filling up with water and I can't take it anymore. This is the 3rd new windshield that's been installed in the past year or two and I've had to take it back over and over to try to get the glass shops to make it stop leaking. No one can get it right!

I'm about ready to sell this car and get my fintail driveable. And what the heck is the deal with how the water pools up in the corners of the windshield; bad design, or what? I've had cars that are over 40 years old with the original, rotten windshield seals not leak a drop! The rubber in my 1967 Mercedes is horrible, but it does not leak at all.
Attached Thumbnails
New Off-Brand Windshield And It Leaks!-w116seal.jpg   New Off-Brand Windshield And It Leaks!-w116seal2.jpg   New Off-Brand Windshield And It Leaks!-w116seal3.jpg   New Off-Brand Windshield And It Leaks!-w116seal4.jpg  

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles