View Single Post
Old 04-06-2002, 11:18 PM

Yes, the inner race usually sticks to the hub. The race comes off and you reuse the hub. I don't know why they want to replace it, It's just a chunk of highly machined steel and should be reused. Only time I've replaced one is if it's damaged because the bolt holes for the wheel bolts were stripped/damaged beyond repair. Is the shop familiar with Mercedes? There are several ways to remove the inner race, the "Mercedes way" is to use a collet puller, this is the "nicest" to the hub (also called the flange). There are other ways, which admittedly are more popular, including making a lateral cut to the race with a grinder then prying it off, and also applying heat to it so it expands slightly and taping or prying it off. I like the collet puller, if you have it it's fast, easy and no real possibility of damaging the hub.
Could it be the hub was damaged during removal and now they say the hub is "bad" and needs to be replaced?
Or am I misinterpreting the whole question and y the bearing was replaced 5-6,000 miles ago, and now they say the problem is the hub? THAT would be a little too weird for me. If they try removing just the hub to replace it (for whatever wild reason) that inner race will MORE than likely come off with the hub again and it'll need a new bearing AGAIN.
Gilly