View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggspeed View Post
I did the one that is right near the engine itself... Wheres the other filter?

How do you do all this stuff to the tank, i have access to my fathers garage and all the tools in the world, but i am no mechanic.
"right near the engine" - which one? They're both pretty near the engine.

One of them is clear plastic, the other is metal like a gasoline engine's spin-on oil filter. The plastic one is in-line with the fuel supply line, which comes through the firewall on the injector pump side of the engine. The metal one is up in front of the power steering pump reservoir. You remove the bolt from the top of it, maybe unclamp a bracket to get it out of the way, and then replace that filter as well. Fill it with clean diesel or diesel purge stuff or whatever you want to use that will burn as fuel so that the re-priming process doesn't take as long.

Re-priming in your car consists of leaning on the starter for up to 60 seconds until she fires up and keeps running.

The return line goes right next to the supply line back through the firewall, both lines attach to metal pipe things coming up into the engine compartment with screw-type hose clamps. Just unclamp the one going back to the tank (the one with no filters in line with it) and blow down the piece that goes back through the firewall with compressed air to just experiment with clearing the tank strainer from the front, so to speak. It's a temporary cure if that is the problem.

Maybe take the fuel cap off the back before you blow air through from the front just so you don't pressurize things and create a fuel jet somewhere if your vents happen to be plugged .

~Michael S.~
Past cars:

1986 300SDL
1987 300SDL
1982 240D
1982 300SD

Current:

1987 300SDL