View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpolli View Post
I usually find the stethescope is too loud for bearings. I like to use a long stick and hold one end to my ear. It could be you over tightened the tension of the belt. This is a common problem for beginning mechanics. I am not saying you are a beginner but if you are just make sure you did not tighten it too much. I used to do this until I burned out some bearings and someone told be better. Anyway, you should be able to track down where the noise is coming from. Could be the alternator bearing or some other bearing such as the tensioner pulley. As far as remans, they are often lousy, so I try to buy the best I can find even though it is not the cheapest. A cheap one with a warranty is not very good. It just means if this junky one breaks you can take it off and we will give you the next junky one.
Thanks for the tips. Actually, the C220 has a self adjusting, spring loaded tensioner. So, aside from pulling it back to loosen the belt, I did not do anything else. I'll try the stick approach. I did put the stets on the tensioner pulley but no noise. However, it was more pronounced around the alternator.

As I said, the noise was not there with the old Bosch alternator.
96 C220
97 Explorer - Found Another Home
2000 Honda Accord V6 - Found Another Home
85 300D - Found Another Home
84 300D - Found Another Home
80 300TD - Found Another Home
Previous cars:
96 Caravan
87 Camry
84 Cressida
82 Vanagon
80 Fiesta