View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Razorback Soccer Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazBenz View Post
I tought I may have a head gasket problem.
My mechanic finally diagnosed it as a leaking U-seal - far le$$ trouble...
The leak is extremely small. A little "drooling" and that's it.
I wonder what would happen if i just leave it that way.
Any risk?
Also, I was told that , given that I am replacing the U-seal I should replace the crankshaf gasket as well, taking advantage of the labor costs anyway incurred.
Any thoughts on this?
More on the topic here:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/tech-help/233357-crankshaft-oil-seal-m104-repair-size.html#post1971037

Thanks, Jorge
C280 1997 50K miles (engine 104)
The timing cover gasket seal is a common leak issue and is unrelated to the far-more-involved head gasket leak. I believe there is a top and bottom seal, and the trick is reinstalling the gasket properly...you can reintroduce the leak or make it worse if not done right.

I can't comment on the crankshaft gasket...not sure how that is considered a while-you-are-at-it type of fix without removal of a lot of ancillary components, but again, I'm not an expert.

As far as M104 head gasket leaks, they typically breach at the rear of the cylinder head (although mine failed near the front). The leak goes from a trickle to about a quart of oil every day, depending on how much you can live with! The major symptom is your engine temps climb uncomfortably high at every stop, even if the outside temperature is relatively cool.
2016 Mustang (32K) - Daughter's car