View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Former Paint Maker

Glasurit is of course BASF's trademark, and like most suppliers, have a full range of technologies. Do you know if it was a 2k urethane or a laqquer? I'm assuming it is a clearcoat since the Germans clearcoat all colors (non metalics on Japanese cars are monocoat).

Again, my last post applies. If you can leave the e-coat intact, things are much better. I would just prep the car w/o removing more of the finish than you need to. Spray it with 2k urethane coatings. It should look good for a long time. Glasurit's good, PPG's good, Dupont's good. Herberts used to be the best. I used to compete against them in Europe before they were bought out by Dupont. They knew some stuff that I couldn't match. I later learned their secret at SW. They used to have a joint venture with SW and some of their propiertary equipment was in SW's auto plant outside of Lexington, KY to make their coatings for the US market. The SW people kept saying how hard it was to use and it didn't work any better. The design was brilliant. I finally understood how they kept beating me technically in Europe. If Dupont hasn't just kept the name and crossfilled their stuff into the can (at least in the US), then that was the best at the time.

If you use a waterborne basecoat, make sure you or the bodyshop mixes the isocyanate in. It will dry and look ok if they or you don't, but the properties will not develop w/o the isocyanate.