View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 04:47 PM

How Screwed Am I? (E420 w/ pictures)

Well, after having some problems with my car's idle (nothing major yet) I thought I'd give my '95 E420 a closer inspection of its wiring harness. It hasn't been replaced (to my knowledge) and the car just turned over 90k. Below are links to pictures of the areas of concern to me with the cracking of insulation and exposed wire in some places. I guess my question is, based on the pictures, how long do you think I have before things start going downhill quickly? New harness is around $650 last I checked and if I can wait a year that would be ideal. (Keep in mind that I'm in MN and the winters up here can get down to 20 below.)

Also, notice the dust in the pictures, I've had the car for the last 6k miles and it looks like it was garaged in a barn. Would you think that there might be Mass Air Flow sensor problems with all the dust? (considering cleaning it but am apprehensive about screwing with it and making my problem worse. Aside from the idle the car runs perfectly)

Pictures:

Guide Picture

Close up of area 'A'
(I didn't snap the plastic sheath off in the picture, it was how I got the car originally)

Close up of area 'B'

Close up of area 'C'