View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 06:04 PM

Firstly thanks all for the replies. Due to travel and the gestapo that run the apartment complex I live in, i was only able to finally work on the car today.

When i disconnected the fuel line and ran the pump, I did not get a smooth flow of fuel. During the 15 second test when i turned on the key there was a large volume of fuel that went for maybe 2-3 seconds, then it started to slow down, until there were regular pauses and more of a sputtering as it pushed out the fuel. The first burst was too much for my funnel so I wasn't able to measure the exact amount but I think I had 700-800mls over the 15 seconds.

the fuel I captured was fairly cloudy and brown.

So, my next step is to try and look at that fuel strainer thing. I wasn't able to remove it to day - using a search of the forum I found somebody who used an inverted spark plug removal tool - but while mine fits I don't have anything to turn it with inverted since its circular inside. I also went to a few hardware shops to either find a 24mm bolt so I can put some smaller nuts on it, or a 24mm hex attachment for my ratchet. the best I could find was a 16mm bolt and a 19mm hex. There is one more hardware shop I will try but I was hoping to see if anyone had any other suggestions.

Also, looking at the placement of the strainer and the fuel lines out of the tank, how does the strainer clogging up actually stop fuel delivery? it doesn't look like its anywhere near where the fuel comes out, from the picture posted earlier in the thread it looks like it just sticks up into the tank - unless the tank has some kind of false bottom to make it go through that central bit?

Anyway, thanks for the help so far - any other suggestions are much appreciated.

Bryce

NB: unfortunately driving around to find these tools resulted in the SEC being clipped by a tahoe. really looks like a jalopy now.

http://www.classicjalopy.com