View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 05:03 PM

Thumbs down

Well I went and looked at this car today. I called the seller about a half hour before I showed up to tell him I was coming to look at it. He said the car was parked out near the road. As I was driving down the road I could see the top of the car as the rest of it looked like it was being consumed by the overgrown field it was setting in.

I've got to say, after I looked at it, the few minor issues with my 300D seem insignificant. Let me begin: Muffler/pipe broke as mentioned in the ad. Rust in the usual spots, the worst being the body panel under the trunk wich was almost to the point that I couldn't tell it was even there. Rear bumper cracked from corrosion. Couldn't really check out the underside as the field grass was doing its best to grow through the bottom of the car. Interior was fair, lots of dog hair, wet carpets, shifter boot pretty well shredded as was some of the vinyl behind the seatbelts(likely from the dog), decent seats and dash. Brake system apparently need to be bled as pedal goes to floor(seller mentioned this). Pop the hood. Radiator pretty much dry. I could hear coolant sloshing when I squeezed the lower hose. Check oil. Level is about 1/2" below the lower mark on the dipstick. Check air cleaner. Center stud/wingnut is missing so there is really nothing holding the air cleaner to the manifold. Oil/coolant leaks on front of block and hose under t-stat housing. Front of engine covered in a thick coating of sludge. Homebrew fuel heating/ possibly HHO system. Heater hoses were cut and white plastic tees spliced in to divert coolant to the pretty cool looking heat exchanger. 2 bungee cord and wood block installed glass jars with lids on and what apperared to be fuel or veggie oil in them, vacuum lines going to the tops of the jars routed to the intake manifold and some sort of heating elements that were wired to the jars. I was really scratching my head with that fuel system!

The car did have 2 good tailights and a first aid kit cover that I could use on my 300D.

Funny thing was the owner never came out to show me the car! There was a path of trampled field grass that led through the field to the woods wich I was guessing was where his house was but I couldnt see it. Guess it really didn't matter because what I saw of it I would have to give it a big