View Single Post
Old 04-10-2002, 06:53 PM

A trip to Cleveland...and Back!

Two weekends ago I took my recently purchased (in January) 1985 300D on its first roadtrip. I was itchin' to go somewhere with this car and impulsively decided after breakfast to visit my daughter who is in school near Cleveland. So, on a bright but blustery cold day, I checked the tire pressure, oil, etc., and headed up route 270 from the Maryland suburbs of D.C. towards Ohio.

Now, I have to say that I have not driven this car more than 3 exits on the beltway before this trip, and it has been a city-driven car for basically its entire 92,000 mile existence, so I was really curious to see what it could do. As this is my first mercedes as well as my first diesel, I started off a bit conservatively, keeping to the speed limit, constantly checking for low oil pressure, high engine temp, and clouds of smoke trailing behind me. The car was purring along just fine so I relaxed a bit and started pushing the car up the long hills beyond Hagerstown. Now we had it up to 75 mph blasting by the semis limping up the hills in the courtesy lane. By the time I got on the Pennsylvania turnpike at Breezewood, I started feeling very comfortable indeed, that is except for the wind noise from the 30 knot side gusts and the bit of sideways crabbing with each gust. But even though I think the steering could be a bit tighter, I still didn't get that lower-end puckering feeling when things don't feel like they're entirely under one's control.

Speaking of things not under one's control, my ACC is definitely not totally under my control. With the afternoon sun beating down on the dashboard and the temp in the low 30s, I couldn't get any warm air out of the vents even with the dial turned to full heat. Later that week, a George Murphy fix gleaned from a search of mercedesmailinglist.com led me to the decomposed foam tube connecting the dash sensor vent with the hard plastic tube drawing interior air to the fan area.

But I digress. The rest of the trip proved uneventful. I had a nice dinner that night with my daughter and her friends (This is my dad and his new mercedes. It's a diesel.), and left early the next day pushing the benz even harder. I decided to come back thru West Virginia, a much prettier ride but longer, and with seemingly higher mountain passes to cross. I also had my first run in with a truck diesel spigot. How does this fit into my fill pipe....(?)

Anyway, I made it back in time to see Maryland beat Kansas to make it to the Final Four and discover that the only mechanical mishap on this 800+ mile round trip was that somehow the front passenger exterior door handle's front pivot point came undone. I discovered later after after pulling the door's interior panel that a 1/2 inch pin had fallen out. I pushed it back in, and I hope it stays in.

I also discovered the car tends to have a rough and loping idle after a hiway run. Here's hoping that it's something as relatively simple as motor mounts and/or dirty injectors.

I'm ready for another impulsive road trip soon.

Dan