View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 11:44 PM

84 300SD Linkage/IP problem

Im breathing new life into an 84 SD. This is your standard 400 dollar diesel. So its slow, oily, and on the verge of catastrophic failure if knowone shows some lovin.

I had the vac system disconnected to fix a leaking trans modulator and when I went to shut the car off the linkage wouldn't move far enough back to shut down the engine, only take it down a few hundred rpm. This is at the stop lever. Ive taken apart the linkage, and have isolated the problem to the injection pump. Looking behind the ip, its seems to be hitting an adjustment screw (the large flat head upward facing screw). I always thought that was for idle adjustment, but it seems more like a "stop" screw for the linkage. Any ideas?

A few fyi's

The 300SD air cleaner has a larger intake. I compared it to the one on my 81 SD (84 w123 engine) and after noticing that the intake of the w123 air cleaner is significantly smaller, I promptly swapped then .

I also noticed the wastegate hose was split wide open. I took a 4 inch section of fuel line which seemed almost identicle to the old hose. Are these special rated hoses? Im guessing it gets damn hot down there. Should fuel line suffice? This is a piece i got from the return fuel flow (the po replaced a split cigar hose with an exceedingly long piece of standard fuel line (has a white line down the side of it)). I am selling this car asap, but I want the car to last regardless of if the next owner even cares, and this seems pretty critical to have working in the long run (a correctly functioning wastegate). Can replacing this hose help regain power? I wouldnt imagine, it keeps boost from going to high.

The car has a power steering leak at the pully. Seems the seal has given out. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? It seems like everythng that usually doesnt fail, is failing on this thing. Fortunatly fastlane carries this seal: http://catalog.peachparts.com/RenderScriptTemplate.epc?_cmd=epccat_VehicleAAA&cookieID=2HF1EHC572HF1EHWED&yearid=1984@@1984&makeid=MB@@MB@@X&modelid=300-SD-002@@300SD&catid=M@@Steering&subcatid=M2080@@P%2FS+Seal&mode=PA&subcatid=M2080@@P/S%20Seal&applicationid=000031608&source=www.peachparts.com&clientid=catalog.mercedesshop

Has anyone done this repair? Seems like it may be easier to just get a pump at pick n pull (and I can get one cheap, as a friend works there). I figuer it looks good on an ebay auction when a 20+ year old car doesnt leak a single drop of anything..