View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfredb View Post
I have an 83 300SD. My engine is having some pretty large vibrations (bad enough to be tearing up my engine mounts pretty quickly) at idle. These vibrations change considerably as the engine warms up.

It was suggested to me to use the Rack Damper Adjustment to minize the vibrations. I guess there is also a New style screw/bolt vs the original.

My questions are:

1. Where is the Rack Damper Adjustment Screw/Bolt?

2. How can I tell the difference between the New style vs the Old?

3. What part do I order (if I need the new style)? (in other words, what is it really called?)

4. Is there a step by step DIY on how to make this adjustment?

5. What am I missing?
Is there any smoke when this vibration is going on and what color is it?

If the vibrations become less after the Engine is up to operating temperature I would expect that I would suspect something going on in the combustion chamber. Problem Glow Plugs, Injectors.
If vibration gets worse when the Engine is up to temparature it could indicate that the Valves Need to be adjusted.

My car was vibrating after the Engine was well warmed up and not a severely as in your case. I tried the New Rack Damper Pin first and was not happy as it had only a slight effect on the Vibration.

This is what I did to get rid of as much vibration as possible from the one that helped the most on down.
Rebuilt Fuel Injectors (new nozzles,interior surfaces lapped and pop test injectors)

Readjusted the Valves

I changed the oil soaked Motor Mounts, Transmission Mount and replaced 1 Engine Shock (I damaged it while removing it) an put on some used but better condition engine shock mounts.
The above took care of the bulk of the vibration

I replaced the old hard Fuel Inlet hoses that had been causing an air leak; and yes that took away some vibration.

Lastly I went back and readjusted the New Rack Damper pin; this time it was effective at removing a little more vibration.