View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 07:50 PM
ForcedInduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddict View Post
I don't think those old trap oxidizers were known as particulate filters.
Thats exactly what they are. It traps the soot then oxidizes it by burning it during regeneration.

Quote:
If they did, those cars that had them could never produce a smoke screen and we all know they can.
Thats because nobody ever replaces them and I'd bet almost every single one has failed. Some new 2008/9 trucks that have come through the shop at Swift have a failed particulate filter. Its easy to tell since the exhaust pipe will have black soot coating the inside instead of a white light chalk-like coating. It costs $8,000 every time they have to replace one. Yes, I have driven one with a straight pipe (Filters removed for transport between shops) and its a night/day difference in performance when compared to a truck with a properly working particulate filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddict View Post
Overall they're still a good idea, no doubt.
To feel good, yes. Just like with new cars though, nobody ever takes into account the emissions released and resources consumed producing, maintaining/repairing/replacing and recycling the filters since they DO have a limited lifespan. Also, the extra fuel consumed from the filter restriction and regeneration cycle does not help manufacturers meet fuel economy standards.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 10-14-2008 at 07:57 PM.