Thread: Electrical Woes
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 11:45 AM

Electrical Woes

So, something is going on with my car. Here's what I have seen so far, just beginning today.

1) On the weekend, I dropped the driver's kick panel to look around for the cruise control brain. I found it, but was not able to find a good way to get it out so left it in.

2) I also have a third party electric brake controller mounted ,for use with my towing hitch (to be honest, the wiring job on it doesn't look so great). I inherited this from the previous (original) owner

3) Today while driving in to work, I was about 3/4 of the way there when I noticed my brake light and battery light started weakly glowing. At the time when they did start to glow, I was idling, headlights off, blower off, but my radio on. I killed the radio, no change. Once I started driving again (not just idling at a stop light) the problem resolved itself for about 30 seconds, and then came back, and then went away again.

4) I parked at work, and turned the car off. When I tried to turn it on again, I noticed that while I can start it, not all of the usual warning lights come on - in particular, neither brake warning light comes on, and the battery light doesn't come on either.

5) I can start without any problem

6) The LED display of my brake controller is now illuminated even when the car is turned off.

So I am not entirely sure what is going on. For sure I must have some kind of a short in the lousy wiring of my brake controller. I am seriously considering tearing that thing out when I get home - or at least disconnecting the system from the battery. I'm not sure if that is my whole problem, though. Could my alternator be going? The alternator's voltage regulator? I don't mind fixing either, but I am not sure where to start.

Any help / advice? I sure hope I can start my car to get home today.