View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 09:26 PM

Cool Bummed/Pissed about high expectations

I found a posting on CL for a 84 300sd. Looked really good in the post and in the pictures the seller sent me later. He was only asking $600 for it. He even went so far as to tell me that everything in the car was working and the car had been well maintained. So i left work early and drove the 40 miles (one way) to see this car.

What a waste of my time. The car looked worse than some of the junked cars Ive seen at the Pick and Pull. I guess its a testament to these cars and how much abuse they can take but this thing was definitely an eye sore. Rust everywhere, the interior was all torn up, the climate control was busted and he had rigged it with a switch. Everything was either cracked/broken or missing. The engine was barely running and nothing worked in the car except for the fact that it could move on its own power. I guess for $600 the engine/trans was worth it but based on the neglect on the chassis who knows what that 617 was put through.... Oh, Im out some gas money and time but hopefully Ill find my next MB soon. Seems really tough here in Chicago to find a half way decent example or something worth restoring.

and the search continues.....