Thread: Post your OOPS!
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2002, 03:46 AM

I've told this before, but worth repeating. My 300D needed a new alternator. Picked up a rebuilt one at local parts place. Problem was, did not come with pulley. Ok, remove pulley from old one, install on new. Tighten down as best as could. That weekend, daughter's cheerleading squad is doing an away game-300 miles away! Pack family in Benz for leisurely ride in fine motorcar. About 50 miles from destination, hear tire thump and look in rear view mirror to see what looks like piece of blacktop I have just run over. Muttter about poor highway maintenance and inattentive driver (me) who does not see junk in road. Then I notice dash is lit up like Christmas tree and gauges are reading all over the place. Mechanical oil presure gauge still reads good (yes, I confess to having oiled my carpet too), engine temp high but bearable. Continue driving-better to be stuck somewhere than stuck in middle of nowhere. Get near destination, pull off at first exit, stop in gas station, pop hood, engine still running. Yep, no alt. pulley. waterpump sitting still with two belts just hanging from it, kinda out of harms way. Made it down the road to car rental place that was closing, get rental, leave sad Benz with engine finally shut off. Drove rental home, got Benz home on car trailer two days later. Buy used alt with pulley still attached from local salvage yard (swapped regulator, of course). Installed, start car. Car still runs fine two years later. At 358k miles, that is the most bullet-proof engine I have ever seen. I f it can hold up to doofus like me working on it, it can hold up to my 16 year old daughter driving it . And I feel much better knowing she has a solid steel tank for a car, sted some plastic accordian-to-be.