View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 08:46 AM
dieselarchitect

When sizing the intake apparatus (be it a carb or tb) be sure to consider the rpm of the engine you are putting it on.

IE a 3 liter engine turning 6000 rpm will pump as much air as a six liter engine turning 300 rpm.

Now if the s10 has a lower operating horsepower than your benz motor you may run out of power in the upper ranges.

I have never done anything with tb but have mixed and matched carbs some. A carb that is much smaller will not deliver any more fuel economy than the original since all carbs are built to deliver about 1 to 14 fuel to air ratio.

But a very small carb will not allow the engine to deliever its power at the higher rpm. With the small carb you can put the pedal to the floor and the engine will just feel like you have it halfway down with the correct sized carb.

Its an excellent way to govern a motor to limit rpm operating range actually.

Tom W
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.