View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 09:43 PM

Transmission just decied to down shift on my '86 560 SEL

First let me say I am new to the forum and if I make a few mistakes I apologize in advance and will correct them...

I just purchased a 1986 560 SEL that had been restored to almost perfect condition except for a few small or so I thought items.

I have been driving it for about a week with no problems, then today as I was driving down the freeway I noticed the rpm's jump and it felt like the car downshifted (of which it did). I pulled over checked the transmission fluid and it looked fine to me, did not smell burnt either.

I put it back in gear and slowly accelerated and it shifted fine, then it did it again, down shifted to what seemed to be second gear. Pulled over and put it in park, waited a few minutes and started to drive it shifted fine again, then did the same thing. Back down to second.

I then placed it in low, took off and shifted to second, then to drive, it would not shift into 3rd this time.

Where would I start on this model? I am mechanically inclined so I can try almost any repair as long as I know where to start.

I have fallen in love with this car and will do what it takes within reason to repair.

Any ideas?

Also where would I locate or would the CD manuals I have seen advertised be of any help with this model or are they a waste of money?

I would like to thank you n advance for your advise.