View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffmac View Post
I change the oil on my cars every 3000 miles....I know it's stupid but they do re-cycle motor oil so I don't feel guilty. And I have never had an engine breakdown due to oil related issues. I personally only use (and have for the past years) Castrol GTX, yet, interestly, FRAM filters work great! I use 10-40 in the winter and 20-50 in the summer. And heck, it only costs like $40 anyway right? Best of luck
How about changing the oil per the manufacturer's recommendation and putting the $40 in an envelope to be used for real needed repairs. I know this won't solve your psychological need to "work" on your car, but maybe you can just reach under the hood and get some grease under your finger nails, and maybe rub some in your hair for that real "I worked on my car" feeling.

I've never had a engine breakdown due to oil related issues either, and you don't want to hear about my oil change interval.

Using one brand of oil over another is another load of horse poop, encouraged by gigantic marketing budgets. As long as it meets the SAE rating your car needs, you're good to go.

All IMHO, of course.