Thread: Wind screen
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 06:36 PM
82 380SL & 96 SL500

Quote:
Originally Posted by joron380sl View Post
Be careful when buying the Windscreen from another source other than being ordered. I recently purcased a windscreen and the Fittings are different on the assorted years of MB.

There are two Tabs that fit against the boot in the back and Two Snap clips that hold the Screen in place near the Chrome Locking mechanism ( one on each side )behind the seats. The problem is the depth of the boot. I own a '81 380sl and my boot has an edge that seems to be shorter than whats required to safely hold it in place. My windscreen will not keep the screen secured. I dont know how to modify unless I replace the Snap Clips. Tlhe Clips on my Windscreen need a boot edge of about 3 inches or so.
I probably havant made myself too clear - but I know the heartbreak of finally finding that one " Attachment " that's wanted and not having it fit. I also could not return the item. I would gladly sell mine for 350.00 if anyone is interested. If anyone has any questions - Please feel free to get in touch.

I read a post recently on, I believe, BenzWorld about the screen and problem you're describing. My best recollection is that the company will, on request, send you rubber spacers or fillers which allows it to snug up.

You can also, I believe, use about any piece of foam to take care of it, though.

Beyond that, I always thought the clip could be bent to shorten it as I looked at the type of clip on the company's website and I've done that on other items using similar clips.