View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 01:25 PM
10mm MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnik View Post
I also started to think about PC modification a while ago.
I got the fab drawings for the 616, rounded end PC, the 617a PC and the 606 (177 HP) PC.

Tom

Where did you find the prints? Any chance you could find it in your hart to make some copies for me. I am trying to find the changes that have been made to PCs to date. Any specks to compare to would be very helpful.

I have not had one in my hand yet or seen if there is any more room in the head PC cavity to increase the PC volume. I would not hesitate to make my own PC taking advantage of the best of all designs.

I would have to see the surface finish you are speaking of. To a point a non smooth surface is utilized to create micro turbulence to keep fuel from condensing on the walls of a port (wall Wetting). But there is a point where the turbulence goes from productive to destructive and inhibiting flow. Helical grooves could be cut into the PC chamber to enhance and quardinate swirl. (if I made my own).

"BUT, I am sure there is potential in the PC although I was told that the C111 had no PC mods. The PC will become a bottleneck >250 HP."

I am going to blaze new trails. So far I have not found anyone that has provided any proof that they have tried to mod any PC, what they did EXACTLY, and what the results were. IMO it is a matter if efficiency. IDI engines on average consume more fuel per HP than DI engines (there are extreme losses, and the point of the PC is to run cleaner [burn more efficiently], this tells me that there is room for improvement, apparently MB thought so too as the 603 engine has smaller cylinders and yet a larger PC volume and different burn holes). IDI engines generally will run higher RsPM than DI engines. I want to get as close to a DI engine while retaining the benefits of the IDI engine. Yes the C111 made good power at the settings they had, but perhaps it would have made more power if they had brought the PCs up to date so to speak. Of the C111 project, I can not intelligently speak as I am not familiar with it.

My thinking is everyone is using higher levels of boost than is necessary to artificially increase the PC VE. I may be setting my self up for a big “I TOLD YOU SO” ,but that is OK. I have seen lots of threads where people say they want to try something with the PC, then nothing after that, no good or bad. There is one way to find out.