View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
Just not a dinky little 4-banger.

If they offered the 2.5L I-5 or 3.0L V6 TDIs, I would seriously consider a VW.
Americans do like their power. CDI's have plenty of that, and get pretty good mileage. It could be better though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchmidt View Post
FYI...

In the Carolinas I did some searching around... in Charlotte and Winston-Salem there are a bunch of Jetta TDI's being advertised by the dealers. Probably 10 or so available between them (in stock). I saw an add from a Columbia, SC Mercedes dealer that looked like he had 10-15 new CDI's sitting there as well. Currently RUG is around $2 and diesel is around $3 / gal.

There was a press release a few week ago that Honda is delaying the intro of their diesels to the '10 model year.

It seems as if the fuel cost differential is really hurting the dealers motivation.
I have given up my VW search for about a month now. I have continued checking the dealers I was looking at before, and they still don't have any available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6.3 View Post
Iam not sure of this but.....only about 6% of cars are diesel in the states
been drinking but if I read correctly there is a 40cent extra tax on diesel as most users are large semi-trucks and no break for car users ???
all coments welcome
That sounds about right, but keep in mind that their are only 2 cars that are available in diesel in the US.

The tax sounds about right too (depending on the state). They do that because semi trucks are going to use it no matter what the tax is, so they might as well make as much as they can off of it. Revenue is what matters, not saving the environment or the future of petrochemical resources.

Wife's - '08 Saab Sportcombi Aero

Riding a '03 Yamaha Warrior