View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Learner View Post
1) I believe that the 20 mm rubber expansion plug behind the L headlight covers what was actually a paint drain hole, but you're right that water accumulates there. In my 1988 260E, I pulled the rubber plug out to let the puddle of water drain after washing one day and the plug tore apart from age. As it was the original plug, the underside was completely covered with the PVC rust protection sprayed on the undercarriage at the factory; that made it rigid and brittle. The replacement part # is 113-987-00-44. Now when I wash the car, I just pop out the plug, let it drain, wipe up around the area (particularly the 0.2 amp resistor for the aux fan) and reinsert the plug.
Ah ok thanks for clearing that up since when I was trying to figure out what the plug was I accidentally punched a hole through the PVC coating. I will make sure to inspect the edges of the hole in the metal and cover it up with silicone or something so I can take the plug in / out without wearing out the area!

Quote:
2) I can't identify these pieces from the photos, and you don't say where they are located in the engine compartment.
The plastic part holds the bundle of wires that runs under the battery plate.

Quote:
3) As for the surface rust behind the battery, I'm not sure what metal area that could be, b/c there should be just the plastic electronics cover there to separate the battery from the relays. It appears that at some point that metal panel was scuffed up and developed surface rust from ambient moisture. In any case, that rust looks so superficial that after 21 years I don't suppose it's going to be a problem now. I'd be inclined to just clean it up as best as possible, put a heavy coat of carnauba on the area and keep it wiped dry after car washes. That's not going to undo the rust, but it'll help keep it under control. Of course, if you're really worried about it, a permanent solution is obviously possible. Take it to a body shop for rust treatment.
At first I couldn't figure out if it was surface rust or another colour primer, but it definitely looked like surface rust. It came right off with light sanding and I just primed it and painted with heat resistant spray paint.